Working in partnership with the charity 500 Miles and following extensive discussions with the Ministry of Health, a decision was taken to build a new larger prosthetics and orthotics workshop and clinic in Kamuzu Central Hospital. This was as a result of the outstanding success of the existing clinic, built by City Building (Glasgow) LLP in 2008. The new clinic will enable a greater number of patients to be fitted with prosthetic and orthotic devices.
- Construction of new prosthetics and orthotics workshop and clinic and refurbishment of existing Clinic in partnership with the charity, 500 Miles.
- Cabled new hospital teaching block and nurses' accommodation and installed IT equipment at Daeyang Luke Mission Hospital in Lilongwe. This was undertaken by staff from Access (Glasgow) LLP.
- Installed IT equipment in a number of primary schools in Lilongwe, identified by the Local Education Authority. PCs supplied by Access (Glasgow) LLP.
- Created IT learning centre at Dzaleka Refugee Camp near Lilongwe.
- Delivered a programme of enhanced IT training to teaching and technical staff in Lilongwe and Dedza City Assemblies.
- Delivered a programme of enhanced IT training to medical and technical staff at Daeyang Luke Mission Hospital and Kamuzu Central Hospital.
- Visit by members of Scottish Youth Parliament to National Youth Council of Malawi.
- Updated Library and IT learning centre at Kamuzu Central Hospital and the College of Health Sciences in Lilongwe.
- Delivered IT training to medical and administrative staff at Kamuzu Central Hospital in Lilongwe.
- Delivered IT training to teaching staff in Lilongwe, identified through Local Education Authority.
- Delivered IT training to local government employees, identified by Dedza City Assembly.
- Installed IT equipment at Dedza City Assembly.
- Reviewed ongoing support for Kamuzu Central Hospital and Open Arms Orphanage.
- Monitoring visits to projects currently being funded.
- Met with staff from Hansen's Disease management centre at Utale to discuss ongoing and future support.
- Undertook risk assessment visit for exchange project between National Youth Council of Malawi and Glasgow members of Scottish Youth Parliament to Malawi.
- Met with Deputy Director of Physiotherapy at Kamuzu Central Hospital regarding future support.
- Met with Orthopaedic surgeons to discuss possibility of improving the working environment of the Orthopaedic Department and Accident and Emergency at the Hospital.